James Helm is History Channel's 2017 Forged in Fire (Episode 3) Champion for the Katzbalger (Renaissance Arming Sword notable for its sturdy build and a distinctive s-shaped or figure-8 shaped guard). The pry spike of the Wrecker is formed by two lines meeting to make a point. It is intended to slip into narrow gaps and then lever out. In conjunction with the rounded top of the 'hawk's head, it acts like a roller head pry bar with an ax blade on the other side. The spike is angled in relation to the handle to give good knuckle clearance when prying (one of the alterations made during the prototyping phase). It's also a vicious weapon and withdraws easily to allow for follow up shots. The butt of the tang is exposed, giving an extra hammering surface and protecting the end of the TeroTuf from damage in impact (say if you throw it, which I strongly advise against). The handle widens as it approaches the end and has a swell in width to aid in retention in the hand while swinging. Throwing tomahawks have handles that are the opposite, tapering to the end in order to easily slip out of the hand when thrown. I consider it more important to keep the tomahawk in your hand during usage, especially if it must be employed in the heat of close quarters combat, than to be able to throw it.
- Model: Wrecker (pry spike)
- Overall Length: 12” or 15"
- Cutting Edge: 2.8125" in a straight line from point to point
- Spike Head: 7.3125"
- Steel: 80CrV2 0.25" thick
- Color: Cerakote Ceramic Gun Coating - Black
- Handles: The handle slabs are 0.25" thick Coyote Tan TeroTuf w/ texture, a composite material made of resin-impregnated layers of cloth. It's very durable, lightweight, grippy, and impervious to most chemicals. The slabs are attached with flared stainless steel tube rivets, which are extremely strong and allow attachment points for lanyards, cord wraps, etc. The maker no longer use Micarta as he find the TeroTuf lighter, grippier, and tougher.
- Features: The sheaths are bottom-eject, ambidextrous, with multiple carry options. They are molded from Boltaron, a material similar to Kydex but less vulnerable to temperature extremes. It is common with professional pistol holster makers. Sheaths come standard with a single retention strap.
- Weight: 28 oz (12")
- Country of Origin: USA